[Digikam-users] TMPDIR issues

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Thu Jan 22 22:02:59 GMT 2015

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 10:49:51PM +0100, Veaceslav Munteanu wrote:
> >> Where my /tmp is normaly more than adequate, for some (stitching panorama's)
> >> it's simply to small. As I have partitions with more than enough space I'm
> >> hoping I overlooked a photoshop or GIMP option to set an TMP and/or swap path
> >> from within digikam.
>
> the easiest way is to create a large partition and mount that partition as /tmp

Actually easier to not create a dedicated partition for /tmp as either you'll
make it too small and run out of space, or you'll make it way too large and
thus be wasting space. Instead just use a bind mount from another partition
which has free space + decent speed

eg, i have an SSD setup on /home so I could do

  mkdir /home/tmp
  mount --bind /home/tmp /tmp

Now I don't have to make any decision about how much space of the SSD to
set aside for /tmp. Also means you don't have pain of resizing partitions
for an existing installed machine.

Regards,
Daniel