[Digikam-users] How long should digikam take to start first time with ~ 25k images?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 16:02:51 GMT 2015

Scanning progress at first run is very time consuming and run, for the
moment, only on one CPU core.

Process is this one :

Scan album
    Scan items in albums
        for each items, read metadata and register info to DB.

Read metadata is long and delegate to Exiv2 shared lib.
Register info to DB is long with SQlite.

In all case, i'm not sure if multicore will help here. Reading
metadata on more than one CPU will not increase speed, because of hard
drive speed limitation. If you use a SSD, it can be better of course.

Register info in DB, will introduce lock due to multiple access at the
same time.

My current solution is : Use a SSD to store at least the DB file.
Performance are really improved.

Better, use a SSD to store image. Here i use a 1Tb Samsung SSD.
Workflow become incredible. SSD price decrease each months. Don't
hesitate to switch from HDD to SSD.