[Digikam-users] custom filter for files

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Thu Oct 24 10:25:36 BST 2013

On Thursday 24 October 2013 08:34:10 Sveinn í Felli wrote:
> Agree, a bit more info would be helpful.
> Maybe he's thinking about something very simple, such as the
> "Export to Remote Computer" command. Which really should say
> "Export copy to a location outside the DigiKam collection
> branches" (but since it's a KIPI-plugin used for many other
> KDE applications, the name has to be generic).
> Alhough I don't see an option to use "Export to Remote
> Computer" in a Batch Queue or any kind of saving outside of
> the collection tree.
> > 2013/10/24 Yuri Samoilenko <kinnalru at gmail.com
> > <mailto:kinnalru at gmail.com>>
> >
> >     Yes, 'batch mode' is powerful tool, but is is has
> >     'custom tool'? for example file archiver?

>From what I read in Yuri's messages; he wants to add images to a file
archive. AFAIK, that's not possible from within Digikam. It is also the
kind of operation that's not available at all in the batch tools (as it
works on the queue, not on the individual files).

So the best he can do is probably:
 - export the files he wants archived to a separate directory, and
 - from there add them to the archive from outside Digikam.

Of course, adding files to an archive can also be done using the Digikam
file tree and any decent file manager (with the proper plug-ins
installed...), but that is probably more complicated in practice.

And I don't think Digikam has any kind of scripting possibilities.

Remco

PS - as an aside, 'adding to archive'  could perhaps be implemented in the
'target' section of the Batch Queue dialog, though I've no idea about the
number of uses such an option would have (archiving a compressed file
format doesn't reduce the final size in general, so the main benefit of
archiving would be packaging for easier handling).