[Digikam-users] Metadata

Boudewijn wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 30 00:02:53 BST 2013

On Saturday 29 June 2013 09:43:29 Anders Lund wrote:
> On Lørdag den 29. juni 2013 15:13:40, Simon Cropper wrote:
> > What he would like is the ability to write metadata to his files while
> > still being able to do other stuff (e.g. edit another image, browse
> > albums, etc).
> >
> > Usually if you save the metadata for a single file it takes less than a
> > second but if you are tagging hundreds of files it could take longer.
> > Personally the longest wait I have had is ~5-10 seconds to save data to
> > ~40 files. I suppose it is how you work and how many files you are
> > manipulating at one time.
>
> That is what I sometimes do, for example by tagging a whole album with some
> tags.
>
> What I thought of was something like an external process and some que
> management.
Thanks for bringing this up! I have seen the issue mentioned now and again on
the list, but it (still) is not completely clear to me and I hesitated to ask
(almost) the same question again.

Is Anders' goal reachable by turning off writing meta data to file while
actively tagging photos, then turn it on and sync the database to the files? I
have not yet dared to try it out, fearing to lose tags in the process.

What I had in mind is:
- write metadata to database only (leave the files as they are)
- when I'm done, tick "write meta data to file"
- chose the option to sync the database
- walk away from my computer

The advantages seem to me:
- I can work on tags without being interrupted
- writing of tags might be more efficient, because each file (might) only need
to be opened once (instead of for each tag I assign in a row)
- the actual writing of the tags is done at a time that I'm not waiting for
the results

Are my assumptions correct?

Best regards,

Boudewijn