[Digikam-users] database troubles

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Tue Jan 29 16:34:03 GMT 2013

Hi Samuel,

Tirsdag den 29. januar 2013 17:08:22 skrev Samuel Ronayette:
> oh yes, I'm convinced I did something wrong, and there is no bug here...
> but almost each time I fiddle with the database, it goes wrong somehow...

To me, "fiddle with the database" sounds like asking for trouble! I'd make a backup
prior to that for any database.

> What is this "migration tool" I used in the first place? Why it didn't make
> a copy of my database?

Maybe you did not set different paths? I never tried it, but AFAICS it is meant to
migrate to/from locations and database backends. The tool seems to set both ends of
the operation to the same file pr default, which does not look very smart to me.

> I understand that to make a backup of my database, I just copy the file
> digikam4.db somewhere else, is that right? (and is that enough to retrieve
> everything ?)

Yes, the sqlite file can be backed up by taking a copy. I use a rsync based tool to make
backups of the entire directory. This will backup changed and new images, and the
database when changed. The tool I use is backintime, but there are more tools, so
choose one that you like.

> I never heard of this sidecar files, I'll have a look.

In digikam settings, go to the "Metadata" page, and enable reading and writing to
files, along with writing to sidecar files. I use the option to only use sidecar files for
readonly images, which includes RAW unless you use the experimental writing option
(using digikam 3.0 rc here)

--
Anders