[Digikam-users] Advice Please

Mick Sulley mick at sulley.info
Tue Feb 19 13:50:40 GMT 2013

Hi, just discovered DigiKam and it looks really good.  Before I start
the mammoth task of tagging etc I want to be sure I am going in the
right direction, so a few questions -

I run Debian on laptop, desktop and server with ssh links between them.
Currently all of my pictures are on the server, I regularly sync other
files (but not pictures) with the server.

When setting up DigiKam is it better to keep copies of the pictures on
the server and access them there of keep copies on each machine and sync
them?

Is it possible to access pictures via an ssh link?  It looks like you
can access via Samba but I cannot see how to access via ssh.

If I keep copies on each machine, if I update or create tags will they
sync across to the other machines?

I currently store my pictures in a year directory, each picture is
renamed with the date and time, and I am planning to use tags to then
access them in a more user friendly way.  Is there a better way to do this?

I currently use MySQL databases for other things and I see there is the
option to use MySQL here in place of SQLite.  Are there any
disadvantages to this?

Any comments or advise would be most welcome.

Thanks
Mick