[Digikam-users] Grouping muliple version of same images

Andrew Goodbody elfringham at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 22:17:43 BST 2013

On 29/08/13 09:59, Steiner, Erich (KGOU 121) wrote:
> Hello all
>
> If I do edit an image in digikam and use several times “save as new
> version”, then I get several thumbnails of this image in the album view.
> When selecting one of this images I can see the different versions of it
> also in the right hand side “Versions”-pane. So digikam seems to know
> correctly that these images belong together.
>
> Now shouldn’t for this different versions of one image not just one
> single thumbnail be shown in the album view? I would expect that these
> versions are automatically grouped together, similar as if I us the
> “Group”-functionality.
>
> Regards
>
> Eru

I think you have been misled by the confusing labelling of that button.
With the non-destructive editing and versioning enabled you have two
choices, Save or Save as new version. When you choose Save, the current
state of the image is saved but you can of course go back to previous
versions due to the non-destructive editing. But you only see the latest
version by default. I think that this is the behaviour that you actually
want.
Whereas Save as new version, will always give you a new view of that
image as well as the previous view. So every time you use that button
you are telling Digikam that you want to see the previous version of the
image as well as the new version.

Andrew