[Digikam-users] where is the user support?

Peter Mc Donough mcd-mail-lists at gmx.net
Sun Aug 4 22:51:35 BST 2013

Am 04.08.2013 22:08, schrieb Michael Gerdau:

> What about the following option:
> Install VirtualBox or VMware or Hyperview or whatever virtual machine
> you like and install a linux in that VM. That would allow you to try
> linux and learn how to use it and you would run digikam in it's natural
> environment.
>
> The performance degradation should be moderate so given the problems you
> described in your email you still should be better off.

This is easily said from a point of an operating system user who also
likes to try out other OS and software of that OS.

If you look at if from a point of someone who just likes to run a
program like digikam it gets much more work intensive.

My suggestion: Look at the main problem you want to solve with a
computer. Find the software which promises a solution, then go for the
OS and the required hardware.

Linux on a virtual machine might be a solution. A more powerful one
should be a partition for Linux. That way you find out whether Linux
works with all your hardware and whether Linux performs as promised
50 GB should be enough if you take care that you can access the Windows
data partition from Linux.

If you then find out that you can work with Linux, great. If not just
kill the Linux partition.

BTW I moved from Windows to Linux more the  10 years ago and haven't
missed it since.

cu
Peter