[Digikam-users] How to remove "left behind" tag tree

Elle Stone l.elle.stone at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 17:30:42 GMT 2012

On 11/14/12, Marie-Noƫlle Augendre <mnaugendre at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks a lot for these information.

You are welcome! As this was the second time I needed to figure out
the exiftool commands to clean out metadata (digikam is not the only
DAM that can create a lot of messy metadata), I decided to post a "how
to" on my website.

You mentioned maintaining two digiKam databases by setting up a second
user. There is another way, which is to make two installations of
digiKam, one in the usual place, another in your home folder perhaps.
The second installation has to be set up to use its own separate .kde4
settings folder or else they'll both try to write to the same
database.

I've done that once before, one install for production version of
digiKam, one for testing version. But I don't see why you couldn't do
two installations of the same version of digiKam. Unfortunately I
don't remember how it's done, and it does require installing the
second digiKam from source.

Does anyone on the list have a link to how to create two digiKam
installs each with its own settings folder? I think there used to be
instructions somewhere on the digiKam website.

Cheers,
Elle