[Digikam-users] change startup order when importing

Xavier Brochard xavier at alternatif.org
Sun Nov 11 08:57:19 GMT 2012

Hi

I would like to suggest a speed improvement in Digikam import process. This
is from a user perspective, using KDE.

Suppose Digikam is not started. When I plug a camera or sdcard, the
notification menu suggest to import pictures using Digikam or Gwenview.
Choosing Digikam, I have to wait until Digikam is fully started up. This
startup is slow, because Digikam load a lot of things.
But one just want to display, as fastest as possible, the content of his
camera or sdcard. Actually, when one's want to import pictures, the first
(commonly) needed steps are displaying and browsing pictures, then selecting
the ones you want to import. These steps doesn't need kipi plugins,
database loaded, etc.

Is it feasible to defer the full load of digikam components when it is
launched through import process?

regards,
xavier