[Digikam-users] Advanced search - How to find one aperture only

Jean-François Rabasse jean-francois.rabasse at wanadoo.fr
Tue Nov 6 09:20:20 GMT 2012

On Tue, 6 Nov 2012, Marie-Noëlle Augendre wrote:

> Good trick! Thank you Jean-François.
>
> I had the impression Digikam only knew the "real" values as it goes from
> f/8 to f/11 and such when I used the '+' and '-' keys; it probably
> automatically proposes the values that are available in the pictures
> recorded in its database.

Well, not exactly. The field editor logic, when using the '+' or '-'
keys or the spin buttons, loops on the standard values serie, 4, 5.6,
8, 11, 16, 22, etc.
This uses plus or minus 1 EV increments. Perhaps plus or minus 1/3 EV
should be more suitable and more close to cameras settings.
(The ISO sensitivity field uses +- 1/3 EV, e.g. 800, 1000, 1250, 1600,
and not just 800, 1600.)

But all this is just typing help and as long as it's possible to input
user typed values, things are Ok.

>From my point of view, what is a real restriction is that input is
locked into a predefined range of values.
For aperture setting, the max value is f/128.0 and this is probably
ok for most lenses.
But the ISO setting field limits to 6400, and the exposure time field
limits to 1/1000s. With somewhat strange behaviour, if you try to
input 1/2000s, the editing corrects into 1/2s :-(

Maybe this should go on a wish list, as with modern cameras, values
of ISO 12800, or 1/2000s shutter speed are possible and there seems
to be no way to do searches for such values.
And a wish list should also consider what you mentionned, i.e. the
possibility of setting the same value as mini and maxi.

Regards,
Jean-François