[Digikam-users] BUG? move to album / overwrite destination problem

Peter Albrecht peter at crazymonkeys.de
Wed May 16 20:50:48 BST 2012

On 16.05.2012 11:10, Remco Viëtor wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 May 2012 10:39:43 Jean-François Rabasse wrote:
>> PS: I have an off-topic question, about something Remco wrote in his
>> answer :
>>
>>> Also, storing metadata in the image files isn't recommended for RAW files
>>> (and perhaps a bad idea for original out-of-camera jpgs as well).
>>
>> I've often read that kind of warning, on this list. From my naive point
>> of view, embedded metadata records, EXIF, XMP, sounds to be a nice thing
>> as one keeps all image information into one file. (And XMP sidecar files
>> doesn't seem to interoperate well betwen different applications.)
>>
>> I'd be really interested in learning what could be potential problems and
>> why this seems to be a not recommended practice. Are there reasons related
>> to the libexiv2 to be not that stable and reliable, and writing metadata
>> could corrupt or destroy the file ? Or are there other reasons ?
>> Thanks for making that point become clearer to me.
>
> For me, there are two reasons to avoid writing to RAW files:
> - They are the original, irreplacable data that I like to keep in its original
> state.  (I have backups, but still...)

In reference to "and perhaps a bad idea for original
out-of-camera jpgs as well":
Writing metadata to JPGs works very well for me, for several
years now.

The only drawback I can think of is the mentioned "changing
the original".

But I decided for me, to _not keep_ the original
out-of-camera-jpgs. So I can live with this "issue". But
this is a decision everyone has to make him-/herself.

Regards,
	Peter