[Digikam-users] Ratings, keywords missing from RAW to JPG outside Digikam 2.5. (Linux, Opensuse 11.4)

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Sat Mar 10 14:51:46 GMT 2012

Am 10.03.2012 14:54, schrieb Peter Mc Donough:
>>> (Marie-Noƫlle Augendre)
>>> I don't think metadata are actually written in RAW files.
> I assumed from the settings description that it were possible.
>
>> (Martin)
>> And imho writing into raw files is a bad idea. raw is your original and
>> should never be altered. XMP side car files is the way to go but sadly
>> there is no standard way to handle it.
>
> -----------
> From the digikam handbook:
>
> "The dual approach to store metadata in a database and in the image
> files guarantees ultra fast searching and secure archiving freely
> accessible to other applications, platforms and formats."

This is true, but as I want my raw files unaltered (and writing data
into canon raw files is only experimental) I never do this for raw
files. But jpeg and png is fine.

> --------------
>
> I would accept that writing into the original may not be a good idea,
> but it should be possible writing into a copy. It would be rather
> limiting if ratings, keywords and copyright remarks can only be read
> with Digikam.

This is not only possible with digikam. But writing config data to
sidecar files is not that old and not standardized. So i.e. darktable
uses a different set of data than digikam. I hope that one day all open
source programs use one way to write xmp sidecar files.

I use a two way with this. Final jpeg photos are rated and tagged
inline. Raw files are rated and tagged in DB only. As I use digikam for
rating and tagging only this is no limit to me. Currently I don't use
xmp sidecar files with digikam. As I use darktable for raw development
the raw development setup is stored in darktables xmp sidecar files (for
raw files only).

Martin