[Digikam-users] ICC file for Ricoh GXR

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Fri Jul 20 09:30:19 BST 2012

Am 20.07.2012 10:07, schrieb Marie-Noëlle Augendre:
> Thanks for these precisions.
> In these specific usages you're refering to, I'm just wondering whether
> these photographers wouldn't rather use tethering methods; so having an
> ICC profile for their camera would be more or less irrevelant as they
> will use their computer screen rather than the camera display.

Hm, I don't know what they use but I doubt that they use the camera
display for more than checking the scene and a basic guess of exposure.

Human eye is not exact regarding colour (neither it is exact regarding
exposure). That is the reason why profiling is available and used. How
do you know if the red is the same red as in the shooting a few hours
ago in the morning sun. If you need technical exact colour you have to
use technical methods to accomplish this.

I once read about a fashion photographer who profiled every shooting he
did. If the shooting took more than a day he profiled it more than once.
That does not mean, that he will not adjust the colour in post
processing but the base he can start from is known. Keep in mind that
they take thousands of pictures. So better use some time before and set
a fixed and well known base point than changing colour in every photo
individually.

Afaik you don't have to create an ICC profile every time. I think that
professional programs can handle colour target (like IT8) internally.

Martin