[Digikam-users] Open Source Rocks - a big tick to digiKam!

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Fri Aug 10 06:14:32 BST 2012

Hi,

I have had the need to review the variety of packages available to a
professional photographer for RAW manipulation and JPG creation for
submission to a professional image library.

 From the commercial side Lightbox and Photoshop rank high on the list.
Well in fact they are considered to be the industry standard from the
"other side".

Aside from metadata coding being slightly different (everything was
there but certain fields were called different things in each packages),
I was able to do everything I could do and more (and I would say easier)
on the open source alternatives.

I am currently using digiKam + UFRaw with GIMP in certain situations.
This combination gave me more functionality for what I needed than
Photoshop + Lightbox. Unbelievable.

I would like to congratulate the digiKam group on a sensational piece of
software because although I use UFRaw and GIMP, I can do everything they
do in digiKam. It is just I am familiar with these packages and find
doing some tasks in them easier / familiar.

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides