[Digikam-users] "Best" distro, Adobe

Paul Verizzo paulv at paulv.net
Tue Sep 20 15:44:10 BST 2011

Hi, William.  I tried to convey what I meant by "Best."  Rinus "got
it."   What I meant was a flawless installation on Virtual Box, for
starters.  Then E-Z access to both of my partitions w/o doing cryptic
command line things as needed in Ubuntu/Mint/Wubi.  Those two things are
pretty objective and quantifiable.  The most subjective is the look and
feel, the layout, the ability to intuit what comes next, how to get
"there."   So, I'll stand by "best," but I certainly acknowledge that my
best may not be other's best.  I was also encouraging users to get out
of their comfort zone if they've not tried pclos as it's not one of the
big players.

Another example of a dud distro was kubuntu.  Clun-kee!  No flyout
menus, every subcategory required another click, and then the same to
back out to the main menu!  Wow.

Rinus, re Adobe, YES!!!!  Lord, I hate that company's products!  Even
the standard PDF reader is bloat ware (I use lightweight, more featured,
free Foxit Reader.)  I have never found Photoshop, or for that matter,
other programs like their Pagemaker intuitive.  Menu categories, terms.
I guess I did not get the Adobe gene.  And now, as evidenced by the
Photoshop Elements 8 that came with my big Canon printer, they are in
love with hard to read gray fonts on black backgrounds!  One of the BIG
reasons I love digiKam!  Easy to read and see things!  Wow, what  a
concept.  <snark> Adobe is more concerned with being "cool," I guess,
than function.  And with every boot of Elements, it wants you to get
married, i.e., register. The Organizer has no options about folders.
You do it THEIR way, not yours.  Eff that!   I do NOT understand how
Adobe took over the pro graphics marketplace by any objective standard.

Mi tres centavos.....

Paul