[Digikam-users] Multiple databases under Digikam

sleepless sleeplessregulus at hetnet.nl
Fri Mar 18 09:40:21 GMT 2011

Multiple databases under Digikam
This applies to you if you want to have multiple databases under Digikam
and you are using Ubuntu 10.10 and Digikam 2.0.0 beta 4. I do not know
till what extend this applies to other versions or systems.

Why should you want that:
If you have a huge photo collection and specially when you work on a
laptop with external usb drive it can become slow to work with. Or, if
you have completely different kinds of collections in your database, and
you perform a search you may want to confine it to a certain part of
your collections.
In either case it would be more conveniant to have multiple databases.

How can you make it happen:
Although the emphasis in the found documentation (by me) is strong on
having all collections in one root (=database) it is perfectly possible
to have more.
Goto Settings->Configure Digikam->database, click the icon and choose a
new path for a database, and add your collection. At this place you can
switch your databases anytime.

If someone can do it, this tip might be suiteble to be put on the
developers blog  on the digikam homepage so it comes available to more
people.

Kind regards,
Rinus