[Digikam-users] Re: Importing Tags from Images

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Sun Mar 6 18:56:37 GMT 2011

Am Sonntag, 6. März 2011 schrieb Marco Tedaldi:
> Hi Martin
>
> Am 06.03.2011 16:20, schrieb Martin (KDE):
> > Am Sonntag, 6. März 2011 schrieb Marco Tedaldi:
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> I'm using digikam since a longer time. My setup is a bit
> >> special, because I'm mounting my home directory over NFS.
> >> I know, that one should not have the sqlite database on an nfs
> >> share. It has worked for me most of the time. And when the
> >> database died, I could always just build a new one since all my
> >> tags and data was stored in the images anyway
> >
> > I know it is not recommended, but there is nothing wrong with it.
> > I used it over a couple of years without any problem. If your
> > network/server is reliable you will not loose any data. besides
> > of that, a backup on the server will let you loose only one day
> > work (and backing up a single server is easier than backing up
> > several clients).
> >
> > I only switched to a local copy because my server was to slow (an
> > old P-III with 400 MHz on a 100MBit network). Now I sync the
> > photo folder from server to local HD on login and backwards on
> > logout.
>
> Nice Idea. But my client only has 160GB of disk space. That's not
> enough for all my images. Speed of the network is not that big of
> an issue since I could yous rsync and only sync the changed
> images.

My clients have 160GB hard disks as well, I sync the DB only (and some
pictures located in the users picture folder). Generally I have two
photo folders: one global and one user owned. The user one is synced
the global one is provided via NFS. digikam DB is located in the user
photo folder (with this synced as well).

> >> This time I wanted to make it better. After the update to
> >> version 4 had failed I had left it for a while. Now I just set
> >> up an account on my mysql server for digikam and let it use it.
> >> Import has run and Imported my almost 50000 images.
> >> The only problem is, that not a single tag has been imported.
> >> When I open the images in another editor, I can see, that the
> >> tags are there, but digikam does not show them (not on the
> >> image itself nor in the overview).
> >>
> >> I'm a bit lost now. Who knows a way to feed the tags, that are
> >> stored in the images, back into the digikam database?
> >
> > There is an option to reread metadata from pictures (but only for
> > selected photos or one album).
>
> Tried it. It did nothing :-(
>
> I took a bit a deeper look into it. The Keywords are stored in
> iptc. If I take a look at the metadata of the image in digikam, I
> see that the keywords are there.
>
> Re-Importing the metadata does not help.

I never tried it, I usually go the other way around. But a few years
ago I move my photos from one folder to another and all tags were
imported correctly.

As I am using raw photos allot, I can not store metadata into files
(even if it were possible, I don't like the idea - sidecar files are
the way to go here).

> It seems that it is a problem related to the mysql backend. I've
> opened a bug and found, that there are similar problems with the
> migration tool when migrating from sqlite to mysql.
> Also, there seems to be a problem if you're not giving the database
> user full privileges on your whole database server but only on the
> used database :-(

I don't like the idea to use a database server for this. I had many
little problems with akonadi (uses mysql server embeded). With every
new version of mysql there were other problems. I can not see any
advantage that mysql brings. I will stay with sqlite. Easy to back up
and I can move it wherever I want.

> Sadly, it seems that the mysql backend in 1.4 is just broken :-(

1.4 is pretty old, isn't it? Can you update to 1.8? May be the DB
problems are solved.

Martin