[Digikam-users] Re: Tags resurrection.

PeterGervai grin at grin.hu
Wed Jan 26 23:20:34 GMT 2011

Kyle Altendorf <kyle.altendorf at ...> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 14:17,  <vlapekng at ...> wrote:
> > Last time I clean-up my home folder and after starting Digikam my albums
> > disappear. Five years of tagging, heeeee ???!!! (Not so bad. Of course I
>
> I'm reading between the lines here...  but it seems that maybe your
> image files moved to a different path?  More specifically, the
> collection path changed?  Does digiKam provide a method to record this
> after the fact?  If so, it is not apparent in the collections dialog.

This is not a direct reply, but may help some.

I move my images a lot, since it's wandering from the current
directory to the "wait for dvd" dir, then the "archives", and
these are all different places, different albums. I started to
clean up the dupes and realised that tags got dumped. I wasn't
happy.

Anyway I realised that the db has the info, just it's too stupid to
realise that the same bloody hash _have_to_be_ the same file, no
matter where. But okay, MAYBE there is a situation when someone wants
to have the SAME image with DIFFERENT tags, I guess. (Sounds quite
insane to me, but...)

So I wrote a small program which distributes tags to the images with
the same hash, no matter what album or path.

The program was slightly tested (on my db, that's it), seems to be
okay but I'm sleepy enough not to prove its correctness ;-) so
please make backups and check afterwards.

http://foobar.grin.hu/digikam/digikam_tag_distributor.pl

Hope it helps.

But it would be much better if digikam would be smart enough to
see that UNIQUE hash should be indeed unique so it is the same
image so the tags could be as well (or at least offer a switch
to behave like that). Paths are obsolete when using unique hashes
anyway. ;-)

I moved over from F-Spot, and I'm mostly okay. (I painfully miss the
timeline of F-Spot because Digikam's is a piece of crap.)
Slow startup time and the obligatory crash at exit is not that bad. :-]

byte-byte,
  grin