[Digikam-users] Re: DigiKam compilation instructions

Jim Dory james at dorydesign.com
Wed Jan 26 17:23:07 GMT 2011

Keep in mind that it depends on what distribution of linux you are
working with. On my system, I could easily create a button that
installs Digikam. All it would have to say is "emerge digikam" and I
would have the latest stable release and all dependencies - no
worries. And it builds from source.

Point is that I don't see how the developers of Digikam can be held
responsible for the lousy package systems of all distributions. (Lousy
in this sense anyway). One caveat is the latest stable release on my
distro is still at 1.7, but I expect today or next day or two it will
be bumped up to 1.8. They are usually on it within a day or two. I've
also built from SVN using the very thorough cook-book-like
instructions given by Gilles or a partner on the website when I needed
functionality of that latest development release. I can see that a
newb could have trouble there though.

cheers, JD