[Digikam-users] Re: How-to move photos to CD/DVD or other external repositories

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Sun Jan 2 17:23:40 GMT 2011

Am Sonntag, 2. Januar 2011 schrieb Juhani Talvela:
> I'd very much like to burn some of my photos to DVD and store them
> separately. This would help me to:
> a) save disk space on my PC
> b) have an organized library of my photo files in a physical
> form...  (I would like to take along a DVD every now and then when
> I go to friends)
>
> But how do I do this? There is an export command in DigiKam that I
> can use to export pictures to some SmugMug, remote computer,
> Gallery, iPod, PicasaWeb, etc... But it doesn't include CD/DVD
> option.
>
> I can of course just burn some pictures on a DVD and just leave
> them on my PC. But this is not good, since it eats up my disk
> space. Is there a way for DigiKam to support storing original
> picutres on a CD/DVD, and just leave a small thumbnail on the
> database?

I think this is due to the kind of saving data on a CD/DVD. This type
of media is not designed to store a bunch of files but one (or more if
you use multi session) iso file. You have to create a iso file first
before you can store the data on CD/DVD.

May be Nautilus (or some other file manager) make this transparently,
but this does not change the way files are stored.

If you want to use removable media like CD your only choice is DVD-RAM
which uses a filesystem similar to those on your harddrive.

This is no limitation by digikam.

If you have stored your photos on a CD/DVD you can no longer change
tags into this files. Access to this files is incredibly slow. So I
don't think that it is a good idea to use photos on CD/DVD in digikam.

The way to go is an external harddisk connected via USB or eSATA or
even network. This media can be added with the removable collections.

Greetings

Martin