[Digikam-users] Re: Back-ups on CD/DVD with DAR (was Re: On backing up)

Johnny yggdrasil at gmx.co.uk
Thu Feb 24 17:51:00 GMT 2011

"Dr. Martin Senftleben" <drmartinus at drmartinus.de> writes:

> I use dar, however not with CDs/DVDs
Great to hear an acutal user, could you please review it's advantages a
bit more, as you're not using space restricted media? In my mind, I
thought the main advantage to dar is you can specify a maximum
repository size (e.g. 4.7 GB for DVD) and get a grouping of the data as
such, with a usable index, and additionally incremental updates.

> that would require an awful lot of disks (the initial backup requires
> about 1 TB of space).
I agree and have not yet estimated number of disks I would need... OK, I
use only 100 GB so far, so only.... 20 DVDs roughly! Yes, it is quite a
lot, but I like the idea of having a third backup in a non-erasable
media, as after all, any hard disks can be overwritten accidentally
(however I would agree it is unlikely to happen simultaneously, but
assume one would fiddle up the back-up script, so when backing up,
actually both locations are overwritten? SPOF.)

> I attach eSATA disks to the PC and start a script which I have written
> that identifies the external drive and starts either an incremental
> backup or a full backup, depending on whether I enter the date of the
> last increment or not.  With darGUI you have an easy to use graphical
> interface.  My harddisk I put away after the backup has completed in a
> fireproof box. Once I had to restore all data because the internal
> hard disk crashed - no problem at all.
What in your opinion do you achieve that cannot be done with rsync by
using dar in this way?

--
Johnny