[Digikam-users] Re: shared and archived photos

Bernhard Schweighofer schweigi at gmx.net
Fri Feb 18 15:03:29 GMT 2011

Am Donnerstag, den 17.02.2011, 10:18 +0100 schrieb LluĂ­s Forns:
> I am looking for a software which allow me to:
> [...]
> - Archive/add photos to/from DVD, and thumbails/tags/albums... keeps
> stored in database, so when I search for a tag and double click on a
> photo, I am asked to insert the correct DVD in order to open the file.

Even so I don't know if there is such a software for linux I would
reconsider the "DVD-approach" first.

If I understand you right, you like to "archive" your photos on DVDs.
IMHO today this is a pretty bad idea:

Since data storages deteriorate over time (regardless if
CD/DVD/harddisk) - so you have to copy them once in a while to not loose
any data. You should also always have one (or more) backups of your
data.
Let's say you have 500 GB of photos (maybe 500 GB may look much - but
e.g. I already have created about 50 GB of photos over the last 10 years
- and recently changed to RAW-shooting so the amount of data is
increasing now a little bit faster...) - this would be 100 DVDs or a
quarter full 2TB harddisk.

One Backup: another 100 DVDs or just one harddisk and I for myself
prefer a "2 Backup media" strategy...

The copy operation to a new medium which has to be done once in a while:
100 DVDs you have to change manually or just a single harddisk...

Also have a look at the digikam handbook too - chapter 2.4 "DAM" and
especially chapter 2.4.4 "Protect your images from data corruption and
loss".

And regarding your question about sharing the photos between different
computers - you could do it by using a NAS over the network or if not
needed simultaneously on all computers just by using an external
harddisk carried to the one computer to work with...

regards
bernhard