[Digikam-users] Venting and asking for guidance

JD Rogers rogersjd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 02:03:55 BST 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 6:55 PM, Ozzy <ozzyprv at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been a digiKam user for over two years now and I am still not happy.
> And please don't take this the wrong way, I am NOT blaming the programers
> and the community. I am blaming ME.
>
> I don't know what I am doing wrong but using dK is not a pleasant
> experience. It is maybe the combination of small things and my need for
> neatness and careful organizaton before actually doing some work.

Hah! I sympathize. I've spent a lot of time in the past planning and
researching the snot out of a topic before jumping in. Not sure I can
be much help here because I've become much more comfortable with the
idea of "if it works, good enough for me" rather than optimizing and
organizing.

> I am a BIG supporter of Linux, and Open Source, so I want to keep trying.
> This time, I want to see if I can start from scratch. Here is where I need
> your help. To those of you with no performance problems using Ubuntu and
> digiKam (if nothing else works I would try Kubuntu, but not for now):
>
> What are your computer specs (including monitor)?
>
> What distro are you using (version)?

Judging from your comments, my setup would drive you bonkers:
Lenovo t60, 2GHz core2 duo, 3GB ram
Digikam is setup with all the albums AND database on a 1TB USB disk
that I regularly sync with a second one stored in a separate location.
Distro: Ubuntu 11.04 (but for the first time, I really regret
upgrading. Ubuntu Unity may be the end of ubuntu for me. I just can't
stand not having sloppy focus)

So as you can see, my setup is not exactly going to appeal to anyone's
sense of performance, but it does the job. I may try upgrading to an
SSD soon and if I do, I may use the usb disk for 'archived photos' but
keep a small subset of the ones I'm actively working on on the local
disk which would help a lot.