[Digikam-users] Digikam gets worse?

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Mon Aug 8 10:26:40 BST 2011

> dealing with memory usage, could you give the memory usage of digikam
> related processes with following details:
> - RES (resident memory)
> - VIRT (virtual memory)

I always recommend to use KDE system monitor to measure memory usage. It
happens very easy to get completely wrong numbers and I believe the developers
really took up the problem and found a good solution. (talking about Linux)

A picture of todays' cameras (12-15 Mpx) typically takes 100 - 150 MB of
memory to load at 16bit, half that for 8bit.

digikam on Linux is at about 300-400 MB at normal usage. There is an image
cache in memory the size of which depends on available RAM; for 4GB, it is 200
MB.