[Digikam-users] Re: Importing metadata from excel to IPTC

Elle Stone l.elle.stone at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 16:07:34 BST 2011

Hi Olaf,

 As no-one has responded regarding digiKam (and I don't know about any
such digiKam functionality, which doesn't mean it doesn't exist), have
you thought about using exiftool? ExifTool can import and export from
.cvs files. And excel spreadsheet data can be saved in .cvs format.

I have never done this! So I can't give you specifics. The
functionality is relatively new. Here's the page link:

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/exiftool_pod.html#inputoutput_text_formatting

Look for the word "cvs" on the page. Also, the exiftool forum is very
friendly and helpful if you want to ask their advice.

Please practice on a test folder and make a backup of all your images
before proceeding with your main folder of images. ExifTool is very
powerful and like any command line tool, can quickly and efficiently
do awful things that you really didn't intend, but accidentally asked
for.

Hope this might be of help.

Regards,
Elle