[Digikam-users] Best LInux distro for my needs?

gerlos gerlosgm at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 20:15:28 BST 2010

Il giorno 03/set/2010, alle ore 16.56, David Talmage ha scritto:
>> You really should give your Digikam installation some
>> resources (Why not VirtualBox?), the experience is not the
>
> I want to offer a caution about VirtualBox.  I've used it for a year or more on a
> Mac Mini OSX host with a Kubuntu guest OS.  It works well enough but you have to
> be careful when you upgrade VirtualBox.  Almost every time there is a VirtualBox
> upgrade, the Linux guest additions break and I lose access to host OS's file
> system, where I store my photos.  Then I have to remember to reinstall the guest
> additions.  The most recent update broke both X11 and the host file system
> access.  Depending on which guest additions I install, I can use X11 (w/Ubuntu's
> guest additions) or the host file system (with VirtualBox's guest additions) but
> not both.  This last upgrade made me stop using VirtualBox.  I just bought a new
> Toshiba R705 to run Kubuntu and Digikam.  It will replace my Mac Mini and my netbook.

I can't confirm these problems with Virtualbox-- my host systems are gnu/linux and my guest systems are windows xp/vista, and in general didn't get any problem with them when upgrading Virtualbox.

But I had problems when I leaved some machines in "saved" state, and then upgraded virtualbox: in these cases the virtual machine were unusable. I needed to remember to shut down the virtual machines *before* upgrading virtualbox (but I think it makes sense: don't you halt your OS before an hardware upgrade?) ;-)

Anyway (I know, someone can criticize this point), if it works, why you want to upgrade it? Just stay with what you know that works ;-)

But maybe we are going too much OT...

Anyway, it would be nice if we could define a rough list of minimum system requirements for digikam...

regards

--
"Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more
of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something