[Digikam-users] Best LInux distro for my needs?

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Fri Sep 3 12:22:32 BST 2010

Am Donnerstag, 2. September 2010, 16:49:19 schrieb Bruce Marshall:
> On Thursday, September 02, 2010, Paul Verizzo wrote:
> > You may recall that I'm going to probably use an old computer dedicated
> > to digiKam on Linux - that's how much I love this thing! - in order to
> > gain stability and faster updates.  I don't recall the specifics, but
> > it's an older, slower machine.  It runs Windows 2000 OK, but the USB is
> > 1.0, so that gives you some clue as to hardware level.  It will have to
> > do for now.
> >
> >  So, what's the best distro for me?  First, minimal overhead on the
> >
> > computer.  I'm thinking one of the KDE based laptop or netbook distros.
> > Does that make sense?  Second, ability to do updates without compiling, a
> > Debian based program I presume.  I see even the much vaunted Ubuntu in
> > the latest version has it's issues getting the latest DK.

> IMHO, I would run kubuntu (ubuntu with KDE), but once that is installed I
> would install XFCE or one of the other low-overhead window managers.

If you are interested in proper translations of KDE, i.e. not English as GUI
language, I would not pick kubuntu since they still have a lot of issues with
that. There are other distros out there which do a better job in that regard.
Almost all of them offer current digikam packages.

openSUSE has live CDs others distros as well, so you can easily install all of
them and pick the one you like best. Getting the most recent digikam package
is not that difficult, in openSUSE you just have to enable the "UpdatedApps"
repo by clicking on a checkbox and select the digikam version you would like
to install in the software management afterwards. It will be similarly easy in
other distros as well. An advantage of openSUSE is that it offers all desktops
in one distro, i.e. Gnome, KDE, xfce, lxde etc.

Sven