[Digikam-users] Best LInux distro for my needs?

David Talmage talmage at acm.org
Thu Sep 2 15:39:10 BST 2010

On Thu Sep  2  9:16 , Paul Verizzo <paulv at paulv.net> sent:

>You may
>recall that I'm going to probably use an old computer dedicated to
>digiKam on Linux - that's how much I love this thing! - in order to
>gain stability and faster updates.  I don't recall the specifics, but
>So, what's the best distro for me?  First, minimal overhead on the
>computer.  I'm thinking one of the KDE based laptop or netbook
>distros.  Does that make sense?  Second, ability to do updates without

How does your old computer compare to a netbook?

I have run DigiKam on an Asus EEE PC 1000 for a couple of years.  I'm currently
using Kubuntu 10.04 but I've also used Xubuntu on it.  Both work just fine.  I
didn't care for the netbook remix edition.  I've tried it twice and it wasn't
ready for Prime Time.  DigiKam on my netbook is slower than I'd like but I think
related to slow storage.  I have the choice of a few pictures on the SSD or or
lots of pictures on NFS.

David Talmage