[Digikam-users] Re: DNG to PNG file size

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 07:27:55 BST 2010

DNG use a JPEG loss-less compression, supporting 16 bits color depth.
It's an improvement of JPEG algorithm done by Adobe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Negative_%28file_format%29

DNG store RAW data, not demosaiced, from your bayet filter sensor :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer_filter

PNG (or TIFF), store demosaiced image data, which take more size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demosaicing

PNG use LZW like compression for image data. It's loss-less too, but
compression ratio is not the same than JPEG lossless, or better than
Wavelets (JPEG2000 or PGF)

Gilles Caulier