[Digikam-users] not able to view images in only certain folders

Jim Dory james at dorydesign.com
Mon Mar 29 06:05:06 BST 2010

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 8:07 PM, Brice Boyer <boyer.brice at googlemail.com>wrote:

> 2010/3/28 Jim Dory <james at dorydesign.com>
>
>> Using KDE-4.4.1 with Digikam-1.1.0-r1.
>>
>> Just noticed as I was going through some Canon cr2 files that some don't
>> show up - I have a blank window like it was empty. There's also some jpegs
>> not showing up. Ive got hundreds of directories and some have subdirectories
>> of jpegs. Only half a dozen won't show images. The subdirectories on some
>> show as blank, another shows one image of two. So far I've only noticed
>> these few directories behaving badly and they are adjacent to each other.
>> The directories bordering seem just fine.
>>
>> I've replaced the .db file with a backup from about a month ago and it
>> does same thing - but I'm not sure how long this problem has been going on
>> as it may have been a few months since I accessed these particular
>> directories.
>>
>> I have some image backups and tried overwriting the images from backups
>> and it still shows no image. I can view the images when I click on them from
>> Dolphin, which opens them in ShowFoto.
>>
>> I also run a virtual-box VM windows xp machine with Adobe Bridge and
>> Photoshop. I can open the directories and view the images in Bridge fine.
>> The images are on a NAS, the database on my localhost desktop.
>>
>> I've looked to make sure I don't have any filters set, but not sure that
>> should be the case since some directories work fine, these few don't. I've
>> hit Refresh on the albums several times.
>>
>> Any idea? what kind of info might you need or test I should perform? /jim

> Hello
>
> I've had the same issue for at least two months too. I most often have
> [nef,small camera jpeg, edits of the nef]. Very occasionnally (maybe once in
> 1000) one of them just disappears from the view (but not from the count) I
> haven't tried to rebuild the db, just vaccuumed it, nothing changes.
> However, changing exif data (at least the caption with exiv2 -c) "restores"
> the jpg's view. I would not write to a nef file however. When I notice a
> file fails showing, I put the rest of the pair/triple in a 'lost' folder
> until they perhaps magically reappear :). Happened just once so far to a
> jpg, have no idea why.
>
> Same question then !
>
> cheers,
> brice.

Thanks for the comeback, Brice,

I guess misery loves company because it is good to know that it happens to
others. I'll have to look into the exiv2 -c command as I haven't used it
yet. The jpegs would be nice to have back so I don't have to re-edit the
raws. However I'm just converting them (the cr2 files) to DNG and they are
re-appearing. So that works.

cheers, Jim