[Digikam-users] Shared collection

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Sun Jun 6 14:20:29 BST 2010

> I think you took me wrong. Lets assume there are two users, Bob and
> Sally. Bob has collections in folder /a, /b and /c. sally has
> collections in /b, /c and /d. Both users uses the computer
> exclusively. Both writes the metadata to file.
>
> Bob adds an new photo paris.jpeg to folder /c and changes the tags to
> location|France|Paris.
>
> Sally (some times later) gets this new photo (as it is new) with the
> tag. She adds a text "Lovely trip to Paris" as caption to the photo.
>
> If Bob starts his digikam after Sally logged out he will not see the
> changes made by Sally (at least with my digikam version 1.2). He has
> to hit "reread metadata from files" to get them. But to do this, he
> has to make wild guesses if the metadata have changed or not.
>
> It would be great, if digikam can do this automatically and mark all
> those files where metadata of the file and in the DB do not match. Or
> use the data from the file (configurable by dialogue).

Ok, I see the problem.
Assuming the modification date changes when Sally writes the metadata (option
can be turned off), digikam at least has a chance to know that the file was
modified.
Usually, not a full scan is done at next  start, only a scan of "hard"
metadata, because not everyone writes metadata to images, not everyone wants a
full rescan. We could add an option to do a full rescan when the modification
date changes, to cover cases such as yours.

Marcel