[Digikam-users] tags in database versus in image file

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 07:32:14 BST 2010

2010/7/25 Wilkins, Vern W <vwilkins at indiana.edu>:
> I usually tag my images, but I've only recently started writing the tags to the image file (including RAW which seems to work fine in 1.3 even though it's listed as experimental).  If I lose my database I lose my tags.  I do backups but there's still some risk of losing data.  What I'm wondering is if the tags are written to the files, will Digikam read those tags back into a new database?

yes, tags will be imported back to a new DB.

If not, is there a way to force Digikam to import the tags?

no other way for the moment. alternative is to use XMP side car. I'm
currently manage new code for that in digiKam 2.0. It's not yet fully
implemented.

 What about ratings that are written to the image files?

Yes Rating is stored in file metadata.