[Digikam-users] Black and white images

Vasilis Yiannakos billyiannakos at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 10:36:04 GMT 2010

Sorry, maybe it's my fault not to mention that I do not compare the raw
bw with the one generated by digikam processing....
When it has to do with bw conversion, I do it either in Photoshop with
the famous Russel Brown technique, or (and better) in Adobe Lightroom,
by working directly on the raw. These results are far superior to any
in-camera processing that I have seen (non only in my cameras)
Unfortunately all open source raw converters can't do very well the job
(yet). And yes, when it come to new DSLRs (like your canon 50D, my
Olympus E-3 etc) in camera bw raw processing is fairly good. But when
you have the FULL color information available, you can ALWAYS try
different process methods to get what every time YOU want ;-)

So, actually, my opinion is that it is wise to have the full color
information available, so that you can work on it as you want. When you
shoot directly to bw, you lose some information, so your work
possibilities are less. Fortunately, when you shoot raw, you have all
the information available when you want it :-)

Vasilis Yiannakos
billyiannakos(at)gmail.com
www.yiannakos.gr
oximata.yiannakos.gr