[Digikam-users] Re: Compiling Issues (still no joy)

Peter Shute pshute at nuw.org.au
Tue Dec 21 23:11:45 GMT 2010

In my case, which is perhaps a bad example because I was using the Windows version, I gave it what I thought was a fairly systematic and thorough testing. But it turned out that I had started using it just after that version became available with that install package. As the months went by and I discovered little problems, I was being told to upgrade, but no upgrade package was available. I would have loved to have kept using it, and to help the project by submitting bug reports, etc, but one can't do that effectively when one is stuck many versions behind the latest. I had made the mistake of assuming that I would be able to get hold of new releases.

I compiled it myself a couple of times, with a lot of help, but couldn't keep up, so I migrated to Lightroom.

I was very pleased that I was able to find ways of doing that without losing any ratings or tags, etc. I didn't actually become unproductive at any stage, or lose any work, but I could tell it was time to get out. I don't see how I could have predicted that outcome any earlier with any amount of testing.

I have used enough open source stuff to know to be cautious about trusting it. People are put off trying a lot of open source programs for the sheer difficulty of finding out what they actually do, let alone how to use them, but digiKam is a little unusual in that there is a lot of very good documentation for it. Therefore, I suspect, it attracts a few more users than normal who don't have the skills required to compile it, etc.

It is an excellent program, but distribution of new releases seem to be one of its weak points. It probably goes against the grain, but perhaps these undeniable difficulties should be pointed out on the FAQ or download page of the website. If these difficulties apply more to some distributions than others, I'm sure many people would appreciate knowing that.