[Digikam-users] Re: Digikam is extremely slow with D7000 images

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 18:54:00 GMT 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 05:24 -0700, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> I find Digikam is slow or extremely slow when working with D7K images.
>
> I shoot everything in raw and generate jpgs from them.
>
> - it takes a long time to display the thumbnails in the gallery, whether
> or not I exclude the raws
>
> - its slow moving between the thumbnails and images.  There is a very
> noticeable delay going from image to image.
>
> - it takes forever to display the thumbnails on the import page from a
> USB card reader.   As a matter of fact, it generally crashes before ~200
> images loaded on a card can be displayed

I'm happy to report that with DK 1.6 and Fedora 14, things are much,
much better.  About 10x faster, for some reason.

D7000 images are very large.  14 bit lossless raw files are nearly 20MB
and don't ask how big TIFFs are.  So things are naturally slower than
working with smaller files.

But Digikam gets the job done and after the index files have loaded for
the first time, the response times are pretty good.

Keep up the good work !

LG