[Digikam-users] Lost tags and album thumbnails

Andreas Weigl kde at silicoids-world.de
Thu Apr 22 07:06:57 BST 2010

Hi

Am Wednesday, 21. April 2010 schrieb Rei Shinozuka:
> When the NAS was accidentally off in my incident, the /nfs-raid01/data
> mountpoint would have been empty and digikam showed no images (I don't
> remember it showing any errors either).  I hoped by shutting down
> digikam and then restoring the NAS, digikam would "remember" what
> "should" have been there and thus restore tags and album thumbnails, but
> i think it went ahead and just thought the data was all new (took hours
> rebuilding) and thus forgot about the tags and album thumbnails.  funny
> thing is that digikam4.db is huge, 120MB, also thumbnail-digikam.db is
> 869MB.

When you change your Collection from "Local Collection" to "Network
Collection" digikam should not delete data, when the directory is empty.

The db files are this huge because the space will not be released when data is
deleted. It will be reused when new data is written to the db. If you want to
release the space you have to do a reorganisation.

> i actually do happen have a recent backup with snapshot of the .digikam
> files, would it be as easy as restoring the old .db files and then
> restarting digikam?

Yes, shut down digikam, restore the old db files and then open it again.

Andreas

--
My Public GPG Key: http://www.silicoids-world.de/gpg.asc
Join Xing: http://www.xing.com/go/invite/7217885.c75a68