[Digikam-users] can't overwrite photo file

Joachim Bergerhoff agimjo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 12:22:54 BST 2009

Not long ago, my Digikam (on Jaunty with KDE and Gnome) worked just fine
(great).

Now it has the following problem: whenever I want to save a modified
picture, I receive a error message "can't overwrite the original file" (I
get it in French, but that's what it says.)  This even occurs when I try to
"save as" to a different location on a different disc.  In this case,
Digikam writes a .tmp file with a technical name to the specified location.

This looks like a an access permission issue.  So re-checked that I still
have all permissions to my photo collection, which is located on a second
internal ext3 single volume disc.  I do have create and delete permissions
according to the properties and I can modify the actual folders and files
without problem.  But maybe there is a twist to this that I ignore ?

The problem seems to occur since I have installed video software on the
computer (only from the repositories).  But why ?  I have un-installed some
of them (those that can be uninstalled without breaking too many
dependencies), but the problem persists.  Could they be responsible ?

Thanks for all hints and tricks !