[Digikam-users] How do I set up Digikam for network access by multiple users ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 16:20:39 BST 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 10:08 -0400, Brano wrote:
> On 09/16/2009 10:04 AM, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 09:23 +0200, Goose wrote:
> >
> >> I've read digikam having a development version using mysql instead
> >> sqlite, so sooner or later we'll have multiuser environment.
> >>
> > Thanks for sharing that.   I'm going go hold off on setting up my multi
> > user system until that ships.
> >
> You may be waiting a long time ...better review with dev team what's in
> developement and due dates.
> Mysql support does not imply multi user access management will be
> implemented day one (if at all).

I think this is why sqlite cannot be (should not be ?) used on a network
share drive: http://www.sqlite.org/lockingv3.html  See "How to corrupt
the database."

But... will it corrupt if only one user is access it at a time ?

When I searched on sqlite + multiuser + network drive, it seems as
though a lot of people want to use sqlite over a network.  A lot of
interesting applications use sqlite including Lightroom and Aperture.

One person suggested that someone write a remote access interface to
sqlite so that it can access the database on a network share drive. He
called it an sqlite "redirector".  I think that would be a much better
effort than having to set up and administer mysql.

http://archives.devshed.com/forums/databases-124/multiuser-db-on-network-share-2135870.html

The other way around this problem is to look at using the Firebird
database.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firebird_(database_server)