[Digikam-users] How do I set up Digikam for network access by multiple users ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 22:49:50 BST 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 15:41 -0400, Brano wrote:
> I have a same situation, all my photos are on NFS share, my digikam DB
> is on my desktop local.
> My wife has also the share mounted and needs to be able to tag the
> pictures for printing/sending to various friends.

At least I'm not the only one with this need.

> I'm planning to implement this (once I get to re-install my wife's laptop).
>
> 1) Keep all photos on NFS (or CIFS) share ...mounted to me and my wife
> (I have complete backup copy elsewhere)
> 2) Keep my digikam DB on my desktop
> 3) Let my wife have digikam on her laptop with local DB
> 4) She'll be tagging pics and digikam will save the tags to exif info of
> each photo (as well as her local digikam db)
> 5) Then I can re-scan the pics on my PC and get all the tags from exif
> and process further as instructed (by her :))
>
> By this I'll get (somehow) the two DBs in sync ...at minimal I'll get
> the info I need from her to my db.

Hmmm...  I'm skeptical that this will work (without issues).  Can
someone who has done it comment ?   If everything is stored in the EXIF
tag field, what does DigiKam need a db for ?  Obviously lots of things.

Why can't a DigiKam application connect to a remote db, other than for
reasons of concurrent access ?  I wouldn't have a problem ensuring that
my wife and I aren't both using DigiKam at the same time.

Thanks for the replies !