[Digikam-users] Feature request

Andreas Weigl kde at silicoids-world.de
Tue Sep 8 00:33:21 BST 2009

Hi

hope nobody already had this idea. I didn't follow the mailinglist
lately. I read that you guys where discussing the use of mysql instead
of sqlite. I just thought about the possibilities this would give.

Lets say all the data that is in the current digikam.db is stored in a
mysql and lets say I do not put this mysql database on my local machine
where I run digikam but put it on my little server at home. When I'm
not at home I wouldn't have any data or database so this would be bad.
So I would need some kind of local database also. Either the "old"
digikam.db or maybe a local mysql. Now there is the problem of keeping
them in sync. I thought about it and tried to find a solution. And then
it hit me. There is already a application that does something similar. A
version control system.

So basically it could work like this:
I'm not at home, shooting some fotos and put them on my local machine.
The metadata is written to my local database.
When I get home, I tell digikam to connect to my repository and do an
"cvs add; cvs ci". The images are copied to my little server where I
also have one or more shares with images and the metadata is written to
the central database.

When I want to edit some files or take them with me I simply checkout
those images. The images are copied to my local system and the metadata
is copied from the central database to my local.
If I edit some files and wan't to check them in again digikam could
check if the image in the central server was changed (newer revision
thant the version I checked out). If so it can ask me what todo.

I think for this to work perperly I would have to tell digikam which
albums are central managed albums and which are local albums.

What do you guys think about that?

Andreas