[Digikam-users] Monitor calibration hw/sw for linux?

gerlos gerlosgm at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 21:06:01 BST 2009

On lunedì 19 ottobre 2009 20:31:03, Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Monday 19 Oct 2009 06:39:27 Milan Knížek wrote:
> > Brano píše v St 14. 10. 2009 v 12:48 -0400:
> > > Slightly off topic, hopefully mods won't mid.
> > >
> > > Can anyone recomed monitor calibration hw/sw that works under linux?
> > >
> > A bit of extra information for those interested:
> >
> > As far as I am aware, there is no consumer grade monitor with hardware
> > calibration, which would be directly supported by linux tools.
> >
> > What I do instead is that I create hardware calibration profiles in MS
> > Windows using the tools from the vendor (these profiles are stored in
> > the LCD and can be switched using hw buttons). I personally use the
> > predefined sRGB, AdobeRGB and then full monitor's gamut with D50 white
> > point.
>
> I've got an LG monitor with a white balance settings called 'sRGB'. Does anybody know, or think, that by using this I could avoid the need for calibration and colour management, provided I always work in SRGB colour space?

Afaik, no, you couldn't avoid calibration, since the video card needs to know something about how to map colors on the screeen, and I'm not sure that it does the "right things" out of the box.

At least, I'd do a check with a colorimeter to be sure that everything is right. But if you are happy eyeballing a gamma chart on the screen, it could be ok anyway...

regards
gerlos

--
"Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more
of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something