[Digikam-users] Colours, digikam and firefox

Alastair Burt burt at dfki.de
Mon Nov 23 14:30:15 GMT 2009

Micha? Smoczyk wrote:
> Alastair Burt pisze:
>
>> I am perplexed as to why photos have different colours in digikam and
>> firefox. Currently, my suspicion lies with the handling of colour
>> management. Getting the image magick display program to output info on
>> the files, I see one difference between the original and the "saved as"
>> JPEG version is that the saved version has "Profile-icc sRGB". Is this
>> being handled differently in GTK-based programs? And is there a way for
>> me to be more sure that what I see in digikam bears some resemblance to
>> what it will look like in people's browsers?
>
> Hmm, since 3.5 version (if I am right) Firefox browser carry about
> color profiles. See for example:
> http://hacks.mozilla.org/2009/06/color-correction/
>
> I think it may be caused by this feature. Try to change firefox
> settings connected with icc (about:config).

Indeed, setting gfx.color_management.mode to 0 and restarting firefox
removed the blue tinge. I wonder what is happening here. And there are
still the gimp peculiarities. It would seem from the output of the image
magick
display program that saving in showfoto creates an "icc profile" of
"sRGB", whatever that might mean. Yet, when I open the file in gimp, it
asks if I want to convert to sRGB format. And whether I say yes or no, I
still get the blue tinge. Is colour management in GTK + kubuntu simply
broken?  Are digikam and firefox / gimp not speaking the same colour
management language?

And the most important question still remains: is there anything I can
do to ensure that photos that I have edited with showfoto end up on the
web in a format that is similar to what I see in digikam -- even for
users of firefox 3.5.5 with default settings?[1]

-- Alastair

Footnotes:
[1]  Pngcrush looked like a promising way to remove colour management
     information from a file, but for me it bails out with a CRC error.