[Digikam-users] How to make a new top-level album?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Sat Nov 14 08:57:17 GMT 2009

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 09:14:11AM +0100, jdd-gmane wrote:
> Le 13/11/2009 23:48, Chris G a écrit :
>
> > Next to Help is Settings, is that what you mean?
>
> probably, I'm french and use the french version, so I don't know the
> exact english words, I can only guess
> >
> > OK, so I go into Collections and try and add '2009', it refuses
> > because I already have a 2009 in my /home/chris/pictures. !!!
>
> can't you simply *select* 2009??
>

> > It *doesn't* do anything I couldn't do before in previous versions,
> > all it does is allow a different way to the same place.
> >
> > I have, in Local Collections a collection called 'pictures'.  I want
> > to add other collections, I can't.
>
> collections are system folders, one can't have two folders/files with
> the same name
>
> this was always the case

Yes, there's no need to state the obvious.

What I (and I think the OP) want to do is to have independent digikam
'collections' (if that's what you want to call them) at the top level.

When I go into the Configure Digikam menu it looks like it's offering
me a way to do this and it's certainly what I *thought* was being
offered by this 'new' ability that 0.10.0 is supposed to have.

It shows me my existing directory tree under Local Collections so
under that I see a branch with /home/chris/pictures.  Then there's a
button which says "Add Collection", it seems obvious to me that if I
click on that button I should be able to add another collection at the
same level as /home/chris/pictures and be able to select *either*
/home/chris/pictures or the new collection.  But it doesn't work.

I'm pretty sure this is what the OP was complaining about, it simply
doesn't work the way one expects (and hopes).

--
Chris Green