[Digikam-users] Moving IPTC data to the comment field

Micha? Smoczyk admin at nocnyrzepin.net
Mon Nov 2 09:36:44 GMT 2009

David Moran wrote:

> I have a series of photographs that I have geo-tagged and associated
> with names via geonames (http://www.geonames.org/). The names show up
> in the metadata of my photographs in the IPTC section. I would like to
> have the ability to move the Location Name, City, Province, and
> Country Name to the comment of the photograph. Does anyone know of a
> way to automate the grabbing of specific IPTC fields and moving them
> to the comment of a photograph? Would creating a batch process in
> digiKam be feasible or will I have to look somewhere else?

Hi David, digiKam cannot do this (yet) using Queue batch manager,
but I think it will be possible via scripting ExifTool or Exiv2
(note that Exiv2 cannot write some RAW files, for example Canon CR2).

But, why you want to /move/ this information? These geolocation
names fields are designed to keep such information. Or did you mean
/copy/ those information to comment? Cheers,

--
/\/\ichau, admin [monkey] nocnyrzepin [dot] net
http://www.nocnyrzepin.net