[Digikam-users] digiKam network collection problem

Robert Zeller robert at robert-zeller.org
Tue May 26 18:03:15 BST 2009

Hi Mac,

I have a photo collection on a QNAP NAS, filesystem is ext3 that is also
exported by Samba Shares and is mounted on my Linux PC by the following
fstab entry:

//qnap/Qmultimedia  /media/QNAP/Qmultimedia  cifs
credentials=/etc/credentials, uid=1001,gid=100,auto,user  0  0

I have full access  (read and write) to the NAS resident collection via
digikam 0.10.0.
Maybe your problem is related to the NTFS file system on your NAS;
normally you don't have write access to an NTFS file system from a Linux
box. I don't know, however, if this is also true for an NTFS file system
that was exported via Samba Shares .

Robert

Duffields wrote:
> Been using digiKam more and more over the past two years and am mightily
> impressed with it.  I now use it for 85% plus of all my photo work.  It just
> keeps getting better and better!
>
> I am currently testing Kubuntu 9.04 ("Kubu") on a small network consisting of
> three computers, the other two of which are running Ubuntu 8.04.  The
> computers share common files located on two hard drives on a D-Link Network
> Accessible Storage Device (NAS) which is auto-mounted at startup by entries
> in fstab.   It is formatted NTFS and uses Samba Shares because I also run
> Virtual Windows for two essential apps that do not, yet, have Linux
> substitutes.
>
> Kubu sees the network drives and can read the drives. All applications Except
> digiKam can write to the drives (one other appears to also have a problem).
>
> DigiKam can see the drives but when I try to add a collection of photos to it
> that is located on the NAS I get the message: "The selected folder does not
> exist or is not readable".
>
> Both Okular and Gwenview can see the networked photo files and display them.
>
> I had high hopes that digiKam 0.10.0 would have a more elegant way of
> maintaining multiple collections over a network.  I hope I do not have to
> resort to the previous method of creating symlinks to the photo files.
>
> Does anyone know the secret to gaining access to network photo collections?
>
> Mac

Dr. Robert Zeller
Bergstr. 2
D-82266 Inning a.A.
GERMANY

Tel: +49-8143-7282
Tel (Office): +49-8143-264499
Mobile: +49-176-5014-0019
Internet-Tel (VoIP): sip:498143264470 at sip.1und1.de
Internet-Tel (VoIP): sip:498143264470 at manaslu.dyndns.org
Skype: robertzeller-inning
Fax: +49-721-151-468727
Email: robert.zeller at robert-zeller.org
<mailto:robert.zeller at robert-zeller.org>
Web: http://www.robert-zeller.org <http://www.robert-zeller.org/>
Netscape Messenger: robertzeller
ICQ-Address: 60383972  nickname: roz99

/"Ich halte dafür, dass alle Narrheit eigentlich auf zwei  Eigenschaften
gepfropft sei, den Hochmut und den Geiz" Immanuel Kant (1764)
/*In a world without fences : Who needs Gates ?*