[Digikam-users] Feature requests

Stephen stephen at cass-ltd.co.uk
Sun Mar 29 20:39:32 BST 2009

Hello all,

First, let me say a big thank you to all the developers, bug testers and
document writers for this product. I believe it is the supreme DAM for
linux,

I would like to offer the following ideas for future development.

1. A trip planner. I often see photographs, perhaps a tv show, or other
source of information where I think, I would love to go and photograph
there. At present I keep a ring binder file with this information in.
What I would love to see is to have a facility inside digikam that would
allow me to record this. Perhaps associate scans, links to google earth
etc. When I then plan a trip I could look in digikam and see which areas
I have marked for interest. Afterwards when I get back I could tie the
photographs I have taken to the original trip info.

2. Versions of the same photograph. I often produce multiple versions of
a photograph for various reasons. I would like a way to track the photos
back to their original. Perhaps back to a digital negative (raw) file.

3. Sidecar files. Would it be possible to carry sidecar files with the
photos. I use both XMP and BIB (bibble raw processor) files with my
photographs and would like to carry them together when I move things
around. Yes I know some people believe that the photograph should
contain all the metadata associated with that photograph but
unfortunately, reality is that for example the PNG format does not
contain the information in a standard way. Also many other products only
support sidecars and not embedded. And the final point on this for me
is, I will never allow anything to edit my raw files. I am too concerned
that the bespoke format is not fully understood and other software
writing to it could cause an issue in the future.

Thanks all for reading this, I would love to hear your comments.

Regards,

Stephen