[Digikam-users] Upgrading for Digikam

leap leapoffuk at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 24 11:44:20 BST 2009

I used to use kubuntu until kde4 but have changed to ubuntu with gnome.
Digikam works fine under gnome. The main problem is that installing
digikam pulls in stupid amounts of kde. I understand that it would need qt
and some kde libs to run but do I really need to install dolphin,
konqueror and phonon (just to mention a few) just to run digikam? I don't
know whether the problem is with digikam or ubuntu/debian packagers but it
does seem excessive.

Other than that it does work. I think you should decide whether you want
gnome or kde and then just install digikam on whatever you choose.

As most linux users now seem to use gnome perhaps the digikam devs should
look at minimising the number of kde parts that it relies on? I am not
suggesting moving to gtk but just trying to reduce the footprint a bit. A
common complaint from gnome users amount kde apps in general is the amount
of kde stuff that need to be installed to run them and digikam is by far
the worst that I have come across. It is a shame because digikam is the
best photo app on linux.