[Digikam-users] Difference between collection types

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Thu Jun 11 10:36:24 BST 2009

> Hi Marcel,
>
> I've imported the new album and indeed I see the messages that you speak
> of.  I imported the album and then let digikam sit "idle" and it looked
> through the whole collection and found many identical images.  The new
> album shows no tags though!

When this message appears AlbumDB::copyImageAttributes is called immediately
afterwards, no way to avoid that, and it copies the tags (among all other
info). Very strange that this does not happen.
When I add a symlink to a subfolder of my collection here as a second
collection, all tags are available.
Is it possible that the database contains third entries to identical files
already that are not tagged?

> I'm not sure what is happening with digikam though.  It finally finished
> finding identical images (after 15 hours: ugh!),

It needed 15 hours to scan a collection??

> but I still see major
> network (disk) activity and digikam is still chugging along doing
> something.  I see lots of messages that say
> "Digikam::AlbumManager::slotDirWatchDirty: KDirWatch detected change at
> /mnt/camera". Should I allow this activity to finish before expecting tags
> to be present in the newly imported album?  Thanks!

KDirWatch behavior was quite fundamentally changed between KDE 4.2.2 and
4.2.3. Since then it reports single files instead of directories. (I dont want
to comment further on such changes on undocumented behavior between minor
revisions and breaking applications)
This leads to an endless loop of KDirWatch triggering a collection scan, which
then again accesses the db file and triggers KDirWatch. Ignore it.

Marcel