[Digikam-users] How does digiKam do raw conversions for the slide shows ?

Photonoxx photonoxx at free.fr
Wed Dec 23 19:41:07 GMT 2009

Le Wed, 23 Dec 2009 18:14:29 +0100, Gilles Caulier
<caulier.gilles at gmail.com> a écrit:

>> However, all that said, I've found that the tools in Digikam sometimes
>> don't cope very well with RAW files - you need accurate icc colour
>> profiles for your camera, for one thing. Most people seem to like ufraw
>> for RAW processing, and it does seem to give more "accurate" results
>> than Digikam does.
>>

> I don't use ICC and i always shot in RAW (minolta). Results are fine
> with a some adjustement (saturation). I use auto gamma and 16 bits
> color depth of course.
>
> I never use UFRAW : too complicated for me... and GTK (:=)))
>
> Gilles Caulier

I don't use UFraw which is too complicated for me too. But, I don't find
full satisfaction "in Digikam way of Raw developping", because I never
succeed to get an image wich approach enough of the camera proceed
version, using only with RAWtool parameters and have to apply "post
treatment" with the raw tool when I open a NEF file in editor. The matter
for me here is the "post treatment" tab isn't present in all the tools
which call the RAWtool (in batch RAW conversion tool for example).

So I use CaptureNX2, which reproduce the same development than the camera
(it's normal because it has the technical data to do this) when I want a
final use picture. And sometime digikam because it's faster than CaptureNX.

To share my own experience about embed JPG in raw file, i think the NEF
produced by my D200 contain a thumbnail version and a preview version
which is (for the dimension) between Thumbnail and RAW data.

--
Nicolas Boulesteix - Chasseur de lueurs - http://www.photonoxx.fr